I can't remember a time in my life when dolls where not a part of it. When no one could attend my fifth birthday party due to a snow storm, my mother sat my dolls around the kitchen table and they attended the party! As I got older, I packed them up and would check on them every summer, cleaning them up and repacking them for the following year. I got more serious about my collection in the 1980s and amassed quite a collection of storybook character dolls as well as a collection of Barbies, which where taboo in my household when I was a child.
I took a break from doll collecting when my four kids were little, but after a divorce and remarriage, my new husband encouraged me to start my collection up again. So now my living room is filled with miniature tables, chairs and doll food with about fifty dolls surrounding them. Oh, I should mention that some of them do belong to my only daughter, who luckily has also become an avid doll collector. You actually would be hard pressed to walk into a room in my house that doesn't have a doll in it. Of course there are none in the bathrooms or the kitchen, but the bulk of my 600 plus collection is stored in my basement! It's just a way of life for me, and as my children get older, on the cusp of leaving the nest, they are my unconditional friends and companions! You can't beat that!
No comments:
Post a Comment